Sunday, July 8, 2012

Me vs. Quinoa flour

Last week I wrote on the community board at the Foodmill "This Saturday - Quinoa zucchini bread". I had never made it. I said to myself, ahhhh, can't be too hard. Never let you're ego convince you of anything. Whenever I cook at the Foodmill, I cook for at least enough for 50-100 people in two hours and must present it on time at 2:00pm as listed on the white board. Sounds like a crazy reality cooking show right? It was exactly that.
The night before, saturday,  I was reading about quinoa flour...and it was all foreboding.."it's too bitter, DISATER DISH....only use 20%..and so on." All of a sudden, it seemed as if a cloud of pending doom hung right over my head. All of the recipes for breads and muffins replace 20% of the regular all purpose flour with quinoa flour. I couldn't accept that, I wanted a 100% quinoa zucchini bread, wheat free, gluten free and I am going to rule this recipe when its done! Then I stumbled upon a webpage www.cakeandcommerce.com,
This individual web page saved me.  She had a huge write up on quinoa flour, and how to prepare quinoa flour to make it more user friendly. I highly recommend it. She recommends spreading the flour on a parchment covered cookie sheet, and cooking it on 200 degrees for 2 hours to remove that bitterness which is a result of the saponins in quinoa.
So in the kitchen, I am adding all of my ingredients as I usually would to make zucchini bread, but I paused, smelled the flour as if to catch a missing link. Just from smelling the mixed dry ingredients, I decided to add some additional nutmeg to compliment the earthiness. When the time was up, exactly 5 minutes before 2pm I took them out, let them cool. At the soonest chance I chopped into one, it was the taste of success, and I was mighty happy. So it is up to you, if you want to follow the the 20% ratio mixed with all purpose flour, thats on you. If you want a 100% quinoa flour recipe, then I would definetly heat your quinoa flour, just remember to store it in the fridge until ready to use.

4 comments:

  1. you are inspiring. Your love of cooking makes me want to try things that i wouldn't often think about cooking. I'm starting to feel the passion for cooking..
    Thanks for your inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on finding success with this difficult dish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for trying this and posting your results! I have a tried and true Zucchini bread recipe that I wanted to make using quinoa flour, but after some reading online I saw that other people complained that it made everything bitter and earthy. Like you I was nearly going to give up, until I found the article on cakeandcommerce.com showing how to toast the quinoa flour to rid it of those saponins! Now that you've replicated the original cook's success (and with Zucchini bread), I couldn't be any more excited to try this out on my own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ferrarimangp! What I love most is creative chefs figuring out a way to use ingredients they never thought possible, just a little bit of creativity, science, and preserverance. Hope you enjoy!!! I did!

      Delete