Saturday, July 14, 2012

macrobiotic breakfast bowl

Recently I have been experimenting different breakfast options. I am not an oatmeal kinda of girl, more savory...and I need options. This meal is so delicious, and I cannot believe how much energy it gave me. Experiment with rice or other healthy grains. The seaweed provides a lot of minerals, with additional alkalizing benefits.You don't need a large bowl for this, it is very filling, but I do admit I snacked on leftovers later on. Usually I will double this whole recipe, so that I have it in the fridge for a few mornings.


Ingredients
-1/2 cup of brown rice (I used brown basmati)
-1/2 cup of mung beans
- shredded one carrot
-2/3 cups of hijiki seaweed(you can also use wakame)
-1/2 cup diced green onion
-1/2 tablespoon of sesame seeds(in each separate bowl)
-1 tablespoon of toasted sesame oil(in each separate bowl)
-1/2 tablespoon of braggs liquid aminos (or soy sauce)

1. First I take two saucepans fill each with 1 cup of water, set on medium high. This will be for the brown rice, and mung beans, cooked seperately. When it comes to a boil, add them seperatley, reduce to simmer, and cover for about 30 until water has been absorbed. If it starts boiling over, reduce the heat or crack the lid open.
2 Next I want to reconstitute the seaweed. Add enough cold water to cover the seaweed., soak for 10 minutes, drain, add more cold water, boil for 15 minutes,(simmer) drain and set aside to cool.
3 While your pots are boiling you can shred your carrots, cut your green onion.
4.  Take your bowl, add your rice, mung bean, carrot, green onion, seaweed, sesame seeds. Dress it with toasted sesame oil, and braggs liquid aminos.
5. Bon appetit!

1 comment:

  1. This is a great substitute for the "regular" breakfast. In my personal training business i have clients who overdose on too many high glycemic carbohydrates. This recipe is a lovely change and with the mung beans rice combo it adds the "perfect protein" combination.
    Besides that it tastes really good.

    ReplyDelete